Full-Time Mechanical Engineer
WHO IS VEECO?
Making a Material Difference is at the core of our DNA. For more than 30 years, we have developed differentiated technologies and built expertise and know-how that has enabled world-changing devices such as LED lighting, data storage, advanced computing and mobile devices to reach industrial scale. We help customers overcome technical and cost barriers that make it possible to convert novel materials into high-yielding device performance at production volumes. Our customers produce the newest, fastest, smallest, and most efficient electronic components used in devices to help deliver a better world.
We serve the semiconductor and emerging high-growth markets. Our process equipment and technology are used to manufacture advanced semiconductors, LEDs, displays, photonics, VCSELs, power electronics, compound semiconductors, hard disk drives, MEMS and wireless chips.
**Hybrid role dependent on business needs**
This Mechanical Engineer position, based in Horsham, PA, will be responsible for the mechanical design and development of complex wafer processing equipment involving wet processing technologies used in the manufacturing of semiconductor components. The person will be involved in all phases of the process, from turning customer specifications into design requirements, development of the product, through successful product realization and customer acceptance. The mechanical engineer will work closely with other members of the Engineering team and Manufacturing Operations. Additionally, this person will have responsibility for producing design drawings and Bill of Materials, ensuring compliance with Veeco’s processes and procedures.
- Mechanical design of the equipment, subassemblies, and components, per mechanical design specifications, based on customer requirements and company capabilities, with a focus on design quality, reliability, effective cost, and ease of manufacturing
- Perform analytical studies and theoretical calculations, requiring a variety of engineering knowledge, including analysis of vacuum vessels, heat transfer, material structural analysis, static and dynamic, fluids, motion mechanisms
- Prepare and present mechanical designs at peer reviews and cross-function design reviews
- Support mechanical material procurement efforts correlated with overall project deadlines
- Develop test plans and design of experiments and have direct involvement in prototype development and testing
- Create and release engineering documentation through the ECO process, using Veeco standards and procedures; generate and modify Bill of Materials
- Interface with operations and electrical, process and software engineering
- Communicate and give direction to manufacturing personnel during the build process
- Continually develop design standards to increase the efficiency of the design and build processes
- Produce clear and accurate documentation in a timely manner
- Understand and adhere to various industry standards
BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 5 years of experience, or an MS degree with 3 years of experience is required. Experience designing capital equipment assemblies, subassemblies or components is also required as is experience with SolidWorks and AutoCAD 2D/3D CAD systems.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic environment as part of a multi-disciplinary team, able to take initiative, own full projects, and/or lead a small project team
- Familiarity with plumbing system design using standard and custom components used in high purity gas and wet chemical processing equipment (valves, fittings, etc.) is preferred
- Knowledge of industrial control systems, sensors, automation, robotics, instrumentation, motion control, motor selection, encoders, electronic packaging, SEMI regulatory standards is a plus
- General knowledge of electrical and software engineering disciplines
- Experience in designing equipment used in a cleanroom environment is a plus
- Must be able to read, understand, and/or create Plumbing & Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID)
- Finite element analysis experience, structural and thermal/fluid, is a plus
- Experience with SAP, or similar PLM system, preferred; SAP ECTR experience a plus
- Effective communication skills, written and verbal; ability to make technical presentations
- Hands-on with devices, prototyping, and troubleshooting is required
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite (including Teams)
- Possible travel to customer sites and/or supplier facilities on an as-needed basis (rarely)