Full-Time Mechanical Engineer, Plumbing Design
WHO IS VEECO?
Making a Material Difference is at the core of our DNA. For more than 30 years, we have developed differentiated technologies and built expertise and know-how that has enabled world-changing devices such as LED lighting, data storage, advanced computing and mobile devices to reach industrial scale. We help customers overcome technical and cost barriers that make it possible to convert novel materials into high-yielding device performance at production volumes. Our customers produce the newest, fastest, smallest, and most efficient electronic components used in devices to help deliver a better world.
We serve the semiconductor and emerging high-growth markets. Our process equipment and technology are used to manufacture advanced semiconductors, LEDs, displays, photonics, VCSELs, power electronics, compound semiconductors, hard disk drives, MEMS and wireless chips.
**Hybrid role dependend on business needs**
This Mechanical Engineer position is based in Horsham, PA, and will be responsible for the design and development of fluid and gas plumbing systems for complex wet wafer processing equipment used in the manufacturing of semiconductor components. In this role, you will have the opportunity to leverage your experience with SolidWorks and AutoCAD, along with your familiarity with metal parts and fabrication to package plumbing components. You will work closely with other members of the Engineering team and Manufacturing Operations. Additionally, you will have responsibility for producing design drawings and Bill of Materials, in compliance with Veeco’s processes and procedures.
- Plumbing component packaging per Plumbing & Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID), based on customer requirements, using Veeco Precision Surface Processing (PSP) standards and procedures; generation of Bill of Materials; focus on design quality, reliability, cost, and ease of manufacturing
- Prepare and present designs at peer reviews and/or cross-functional design reviews
- Support mechanical material procurement efforts correlated with overall project deadlines
- Interface with Operations and Electrical, Process and Software Engineering
- Communicate and give direction to Manufacturing personnel during build process
- Continually develop design standards to increase efficiency of the design and build processes
- Produce clear and accurate documentation in a timely manner
- Understand and adhere to various industry standards
BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 5 years of experience, or an MS degree with 3 years of experience is required. Experience with SolidWorks and AutoCAD 2D/3D CAD system is required. Experience with SAP, or similar ERP system, preferred; SAP ECTR experience a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment as part of a multi-disciplinary team, able to take initiative, own full projects, and/or lead a small project team
- Ability to read, understand, and/or create P&IDs
- Knowledge of plumbing system design using standard and custom components used in high purity gas and wet chemical processing equipment (valves, fittings, etc.) is preferred
- Knowledge of industrial control systems, sensors, automation, robotics, instrumentation, motion control, motor selection, encoders, electronic packaging, SEMI regulatory standards is a plus
- General knowledge of electrical and software engineering disciplines
- Experience in designing equipment used in a cleanroom environment is a plus
- Effective communication skills, written and verbal; ability to make technical presentations
- Hands-on with devices, prototyping, and troubleshooting is required
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite (including Teams, Excel)
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time to customer sites and/or supplier facilities on an as-needed basis